Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Two days late and a two putt short...

Hola Mi Familia….Translation…Hello My Family…
See? Having a companion that is going to Argentina really is paying off already. We are able (and supposed to) do language study every day. So I’m picking up a little here and there. It really is a lot of fun. He isn’t fluent yet but he is able to hold his own in a gospel related conversation. We find a lot of people tracting and contacting that speak mostly Spanish so he is able to talk to them and get some of their info for the real Elderos that live with us to go by and talk to them in real Spanish. Elder Porritt really is a good kid. He is from Northern Utah and most people can tell that right off when he starts talking. And that makes things even more fun. I really thought that serving with someone from Utah would be more annoying than this, to be honest. We get along really well and I will be sad to see him go. He had to sign some papers yesterday to help get the visa so I think it will be coming sooner rather then later. We are really having a great time and like I said last week, it really is hard training a missionary for a different mission. Most things won't be the same so I have to try and keep things as general as possible….even the language won’t be the same down there. So it really will change his whole mission when he gets down there. A few quick things about his family: he is the oldest of 4 kids, all boys in his family. He likes a lot the same things I do…..SPORTS…..it is so nice to have someone to talk sports with…..especially since he has only been out like 2 months he has the latest and greatest updates. So as you can see, we really do have a fun time together.

This last week seems like it really happened over a month ago to be totally honest with you all. Does that mean that time has been flying or going slow? We had a great Zone Conference this past week. It was really helpful for me personally. The things that we always seem to talk about at Zone Conferences are always something that I need. Most missionaries will make the same exact comment as that one in relation to this topic. One of the most prevalent topics was praying with faith: to find people and to know what to do after we ding them. We also talked a lot about teaching people the importance of the first four principles of the Gospel and how it leads us to makes changes and commitments. We had an awesome testimony meeting afterward as always and I got up and bore my testimony on the power of praying with faith. And how by doing so my dad is now a member of the church and it was really cool to be able tell a quick little story and know I have testimony of praying with faith. So needless to say….Zone conference was great.

I guess not too much else amazing happened this week but it went by too fast I can tell you that. There aren’t enough hours in the day to do the things we want to do…and it always seems that something gets in the way each time. Oh, I guess you are wondering why I didn’t do this Monday. Well, we were playing golf. Yeah that’s right….finally I got to play some golf….and I must say this….I have a lot of practicing to do when I get home! We played at the Angel Park Golf Club on their par 3 course. We got to go for free because of a member. We had golf carts and really nice Callaway golf clubs to play with. They were the nicest clubs I have ever played a round with. It was a lot of fun. Now is where the story gets intense: I was playing in a group with another Elder who had played golf before he came out as well. Well, we battled back and forth the whole day and it came down to the very last hole, and we were all tied up. We both hit tee shots about two feet apart to the right of the green. I chipped on first to about 10 feet or so. He went a little stronger and was farther away. He ended up three putting…so I had to make it in two….Well I totally choked I three putted as well, it was so embarrassing…5 missionaries watch you blow a 3 footer to win the whole thing….I was so mad. I’m still mad thinking about this and writing it down. So now the Elder and I have to come up with a way to break the tie. And that was the highlight of the week so far.

Well I love you all so much and I hope that you all have a great week. Remember I love you all so much.

Love,
Elder Geoff Taylor

No comments: