Monday, July 2, 2007

Letter on July 2, 2007

Subject: The Week that was "The Rollercoaster"

Hey Everyone,

It sounds like all have had a good week. This week is what I would like to call a “Rollercoaster” week. It all started last Monday. We had an Amazing appointment with this investigator named Bruce. (no he isn’t Bruce Wayne, but he does own a sweet car). He owns a ’67 Shelby Cobra. Yeah it is amazing. He said one day he will take us for a ride in it and I will have to take a video of the ride. Anyway back to the spiritual part of the lesson. He is an amazing guy: his mom was raised in Idaho Falls and he lived there from about 1976 to 1980. He also hung out with some LDS kids back then too. So you guys may have seen him before. His full name is Bruce Tanaka, and is a short little Japanese man and he is also really cool. So we had a great lesson with him to start us on our way up the “Rollercoaster.”

Then on Tuesday we had another good day. We had lesson with two of our investigators, One with Devi, a lady who is converting from Hinduism, which went well. Then we met with another whose name is Conan, he is 17 and he a really smart kid. We were talking with him about some of his hang ups with the church and we had a really good lesson with him. He has been investigating the Church for about 6 months now and he had a good number of questions and concerns, but the lesson went well and we got him to agree to come to an investigator fireside that President Andrus puts on for investigators after our Zone Conferences; I will get to more on both in just a minute. So we are still doing good on our “Rollercoaster” of a week.

Then Wednesday hits and we start the down hill. I awoke at about 3 in the morning and didn’t really feel so good. Within a few more minutes I was in the bathroom. Well, we will just say I was taking care of some personal business, and from then of I was sick with the 24 hour flu...it sucked. Nothing sucks more then being sick as a missionary. Oh, I forgot there is something worse: being sick on a splits day. Oh, and I wasn’t my apartment, which made it all worse. I was in someone’s bed and not mine and I had like none of the medicine I bought over the weeks and I was just no fun. We stayed in all day, because you know all the Diarrhea and Vomiting which is always fun. I was really glad to be home that night in my bed.

So then Thursday hit and I was feeling better and we were back on the up swing of our week. Friday was Zone Conference, which as a missionary we love, you get super pumped up by your mission president and you then work really hard for then next couple of weeks. One funny thing we found out was that President Andrus goes out tracting and he even gets doors slammed in his face. That was cool to hear, really motivating to try our best. Then we had the Investigator Fireside - this was my first one. We took Conan and he had a great time. He even committed to get baptized on July 7th. That’s this Saturday, so we are really pumped for that. What President Andrus does is he teaches a first lesson using PowerPoint and he just does a really good job. He commits all investigators with a date right there. So it is really powerful - the spirit is just so strong.

So, we were back on our high, then we lost the car keys and spent all Saturday morning looking for those. That would have sucked to lose them, but we didn’t, so it's all good. Then last night we were talking to Devi our “golden investigator” and she dropped us. Which as missionaries we are usually the ones who drop investigators. So that was hard. But the one thing that I have learned through it all is that we need to keep our heads up high and keep working hard. I hope you all have a great 4th of July. We have to be in our apartment by 6pm so that isn’t too fun but we will have a fun week anyway. I love you all and hope you the best.

Love,
Elder Taylor

Fireworks over Reno, Nevada

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh sweetie I hope your tummy feels better. I think they call that food poisioning... probably not the flu. BUT you can call it what ever you like... It all comes out the same (pun intended).
How could someone like YOU be dropped? I ask you. Thaat makes little to NO sense! But keep on smiling.
We watched the fireworkds from the high school out my window. It was great. Far enough away that is wasn't loud or smokey and we didn't have to get IN the traffic either. Maggie however, coward that she is, hid in the corner and shook until she thought it safe to come out. Poor baby. I can't wait until she looses her hearing. I think that is the only way she will enjoy a 4th of July.

Take care and keep peddling.