Monday, December 22, 2008

The Best Way to Spread Christmas Cheer is to Sing Loud for All to Hear....Then Hit Them With a Snow Ball!

Well hello you frozen people,

Man, it was weird to hear about all the snow up there….like you said Chanel that never happens….and to have two big snow storms in a weeks time! Where is Global warming? Just kidding…it is here in Vegas in the summer time. Anyway….speaking of Las Vegas weather: last week I said that we had a little snow storm on Monday and thought that would be the most amazing thing to ever happen in Las Vegas ever. Boy, was I wrong. On Wednesday we had our Christmas conference. That was really good, and I will talk more about it in a second, but we had the biggest snow storm in the Las Vegas valley that day since 1979! That is a long time ago, right Chanel? But really it was so cool to see all the snow on the ground.
Question: What happens when you get 4 inches of snow and 80 or so missionaries together in a parking lot?
Answer: SNOWBALL FIGHT!
It was awesome….but very cold. None of us were wearing coats or gloves or any sort of cold weather gear. It just doesn’t do that here. Needless to say, when I was done with the fight my hands were freezing. Like if you hit them with a hammer they would have shattered into a million pieces. So to warm up, what would you do? Well me: I stuck my head out the window of the van I was riding in and sang Christmas carols at the top of my lungs and so all that would hear. Man, that was really a lot of fun and helped make this a Christmas that I won't soon forget. I guess I could talk about the rest of that day. We had a wonderful day of meetings. We had some really good trainings, some really good music and then we went to watch the Emma Smith movie. I recommend you all see it….and for you haters out there, Emma Smith was an amazing women and well, I won't get on my soap box right now…but she is amazing. The whole day of zone conference and snowball fight and everything….it was a wonderful day and I couldn’t have hoped for any better.

Then later on this week we had a little ward party…it was supposed to be a thing where people could invite there friends but really no one did. Still it was a great night of music. The whole night was about Christmas music and celebrating the Christmas season. It was a really good night and the people that we talked to afterward and in the days later said they had a great time and that they would try harder to get their friends out the party next year. Also we have been doing the living Christmas cards this past week. We have had quite a few people thank us and tell us how brave we are to just do this - just the two of us. Really I thought that I would never do anything like this ever. Me and one other person singing at the door step? Still it has been great fun and seems to be bringing the Christmas Spirit all around….even though the snow beat us to it. Yesterday we had the chance to sing in the ward choir….well Sister Stringer is the ward choir director…and also fills our pantry…so we sang with the biggest smiles ever yesterday!

Like was said in all your emails - I think Christmas might be around the corner….and I regret to inform you that President McCracken said that we won't be able to call home this year, because we might not reach our baptism goal for the year so he wants us out talking to people all day Christmas. I think my pants just caught on fire…..because I am totally kidding about not being able to call home….we can and I will. Sometime Thursday I will be calling home. I can’t wait….last call home as a missionary! It should be pretty cool. So speaking of last things: As yesterday was my 22 month mark in the mission field….it seems that everyone is starting to find out that I have not very much time left….and so I have noticed that all the standard questions change….they get the “how long have you been out” question out….which I always let Elder Degering answer first….since he has been out about 18 months people are always like….”Oh you go home really soon!” and I just laugh and then they ask me and I say how long I have been out and they are like “WOW, you go home SO soon!” It really is quite funny and as I sit here thinking about what I am saying - only those who have served missions will really understand what I am trying to say - but really it has started to be weird and scary. One of my really good mission buddies goes home on Tuesday and we have been talking about stuff and I am so glad that I have two months left….it is really quite nerve wracking to think that it is almost 2009 and that means I will be home soon enough. Well that is my trunky moment of the week….stay tuned for next week's! Just kidding.

Well I love you all and hope that you have a great holiday season and a wonderful Christmas day. For those I won't get to talk to have a great New Year and I will talk to you all soon enough…I love you all so much, have a great week.

Love,
Elder Geoff Taylor

No comments: