Monday, February 23, 2009

There and Back Again: An Adventure by Elder Geoffrey Edward Taylor


Hello,
So here we are. I really can’t believe that I am here at this point. This has to been one of the weirdest times for me. My very last p-day. I think I might just have to sit down and write a mass email every week telling people what I have been up to, while it may not be nearly as interesting, but still it will fill the hole left in my life, no more p-days. Well I guess technically everyday will be p-day now. That’s really weird.
So I’m sitting here with the same thought process that you all probably had writing your emails, "What do I say that I can’t just tell you about in two days?" Well a lot has happened this last week. Yesterday was one of the highlights. Well, as it was my last Sunday as a missionary, we were going all day, like all day. We woke up at about 6:10 a.m. and were out the door at 7:00 a.m. and didn’t come home for more than fifteen minutes the rest of the day, until 9:15 p.m. So that was a really long day. Good thing I can catch up on my rest when I get home. We had a lot of things to do. I had families to whom I wanted to say good-bye and then we had put on a youth fireside, it was a lot of fun. We did a really good job and I hope that they got the point we were trying to make to them. We really did have a fun time and it seemed as though the youth really did too.
Then the second and probably the best highlight was Katie Beck’s baptism this past Wednesday night. It was such a spiritual experience. We had a ton of people there. She did a great job. She had been nervous leading up to the whole thing about getting water in her nose. She was told that she could plug her nose no problem. Well, she did a great job and went under just fine and did really well. Everyone was pretty emotional, (as they should have been). The Spirit was so strong in that room. Afterward she found the mirror over the font and was dance and playing in it. We had pulled the plug on the font and so there was only a little water and a long way down, so I went over and closed the door so she wouldn’t get hurt. This also gave me a great time to talk to her. I asked her how she was doing and what she was feeling. Her response was short, but will be something that I will remember for a while. They were sweet little words and then at the end she gave me a hug. It was a very touching moment for me, and I don’t think I could have had any better last baptism. The family thanked us for everything and that was the night. It was so great.
Well I guess this is the time I give like some really profound thought or some super amazing thing. We all know that I am not built to make these kinds of things. I will say this: I have loved being a missionary. I can’t think of anything I would have done with my life these past two years that would put me in the position that I am in now. Both spiritually and physically, this has been the best two years for my life. I have loved these last two years. They have meant the world to me. Dad wanted me to put my thoughts "right now" into words. I have a lot in my mind. Thoughts of what to do when I get home, what movie to watch first, how much I have no desire to leave the wards that I am serving in and that they are being ripped from me. I have feelings gratitude and love for my Heavenly Father. He has given me these chances to touch people’s lives and be a part of them in some way. I have loved my mission, but even with all that, I can’t wait to hug my Dad. I think that is what I look forward to the most right now. Putting my arms around him and telling him “Hello, and I love you.” He has been the shining star to me as I have gone through all of this. I have looked at the changes he has made and I feel like I need to get more caught up with him. I love Mom and Chanel, too…but come on - throw me a bone here. Well I love you guys so much. I know I write that every week…but how about this time I just tell you in person on Wednesday. Have a great day and I will see you all Wednesday.
Love, (For The Last Time)
Elder Geoff Taylor

No comments: