Monday, November 24, 2008

Man, I think I really have changed....

Hey There,
Well I must say it seems like just yesterday I was sitting here writing you all a letter about the goings on here in little Las Vegas. This week has been a good one….lots if things going on….I just don’t really remember them all. We were just going all the time doing all sorts of different things. The nice thing is that the weather has really been quite nice….the crazy thing was that we had a record high last Monday of 80 degrees. I must say that it really doesn’t feel like it is holiday season….I mean Thanksgiving is Thursday and it will be like 70 degrees….holy cow! So that should be really nice….even though we might not have much time to be outside….as we have been invited to three places for dinner. So that will keep us fat and happy…well at least fat. We also have the turkey bowl….which will pit zone vs. zone down here in Las Vegas…so really it should be a pretty good time.
Well as for things on the missionary front we have had a few moments that were quite memorable. One was pretty funny: we were leaving our investigator's house the other night and as we were getting on our bikes and the kids were running around and then we were riding away…and the mom yelled out….”You guys are black now!” I mean I knew that missionaries really change when they are out, but skin color?? That’s a new one to me. But, hey, any change is good, right? So that was really good. Then we found out that day also that her boyfriend is out of jail now….so that is good, too! They all came to church yesterday. I must say I really love to see the change in people as the missionaries work with them, but as the Spirit works with them even more. This family has come a very long way….they are actually a family. It is awesome to see this change and I really have enjoyed it.
Then I had a very humbling/kick my butt moment this week. I am ashamed of it and the Lord really humbled me. We were out tracting the other day, (and as I have said I really don’t enjoy the whole knocking on people’s door thing), anyway we were out and it was later in the afternoon and now it gets dark at about 4:30 in the afternoon. Well, we were going and I really was not into it, and it was getting dark and I had more things on my mind and didn’t want to knock on doors…to make it worse no one was answering the door…I wasn’t in the best mood. Well we saw this lady and she was on the other side of the road…well she was smoking and just walking around and stuff. I thought in my head, ”Well, she won’t listen or be interested, or she will be rude.” So, I just kept walking and halfway up the next drive way…I heard a voice and it said “Hey, are you the missionaries?” My heart sank and I turned around. Sheepishly I said “yes.” Well, we, of course, ended up talking to her for about 45 minutes and found that she was a member and that she had a four year old daughter that really wanted to go to church. Her mom was in town and had been taking the daughter to church and so we talked about that. Well she was a really nice lady. So now my testimony of talking to everyone we see has grown. I felt so bad, and I had a great conversation with my Heavenly Father that night about it. It was a little moment to me that He really does care about all of His children. Then we had another awesome experience the other night. We were riding our bikes and trying to talk with people. We found this guy, his name is Juan, who was walking and he started talking to us…well we talked for about 30 minutes or so in which time he told us his life story and told us that he knew that God had sent us to be in his path that night. He wants to be baptized the right way, ”...like Christ was...” were his exact words. But he doesn't live in our area. So, we gave him the website info to get the missionaries over to his house and then we got his phone number to give him a call to see if he got a hold of them. So in the end we hope the best for both of these people.
We spoke in Lynbrook ward sacrament on missionary work. It was a sister's missionary farewell. She is going to Korea. Yeah, that’s right, should be fun. The cool thing her family is all converts to the church from the fundamentalist LDS church. She talked a little about that and how it had changed her life to find the true church…great talk - she will be a great missionary….even if she doesn’t know the language. My talk went very well, I had few people come up and tell me that it seemed like I had done that a time or two before. Well I have, I mean when you hit 21 months out as a missionary you start to get the feel of this job. 21 months man where does the time go?! I really don’t know.
Well this weekend is transfer calls so that should be pretty good. Not too sure what will happen, I really hope that I don’t get changed. I don’t think I will as I only have 2 transfer cycles left, so really I don’t think anything will happen. Also, with Thanksgiving this week it should be nice and fun. Well I hope that you all have a fantastic turkey day. Take lot of pictures! I know that I will try to do the same. I love you all so much and hope the best for all of you. Have good one and open your mouths and share the best gift of all, the gospel.
Love,
Elder Geoff Taylor

No comments: