Monday, October 27, 2008

Welcome (BACK) To Fabulous Las Vegas!

Well hey there,

Well, this has been crazy week to say the least. We have been really busy with trying to get to know the area and stuff. I did make it to Las Vegas safely….and soundly. I got off the bus and was pleased with the weather (much warmer) and then I was told that I would be living with members. Then I was told that I would need something else…then I got handed a cell phone. Oh happy day!! Finally!! And all other words that mean joy….that is what I felt….A CELL PHONE…I am so happy. Then we got into the car and went to the house. I met the Stringers and they are the nicest people ever. They then took us out to dinner because we had no idea what was going on in the area. So we went and had a nice dinner. Then we got settled into the room. We live in a bedroom toward the back of the house and we are doing that while we wait for our apartment in the backyard to be finished. They have a little place for us to live it just needs a little work. The nice thing is that Brother Stringer is a general contractor, so he knows some people who can help out. Then we spent the rest of the week trying to figure out what was going on around here.

We did have some ward parties and things like that to help us get to know the members in the ward faster. We had High Priest party in the Deer Springs ward and then a trunk or treat in the Lynbrook ward…the other ward that we cover. We didn’t find out until transfer day that we would be covering that ward...and it should be all right…they are really close together and small wards anyway. We had a great chance to get to know the wards. Then, of course, Sunday was the Primary program in both wards. So we got to enjoy all of that, as well. Those kids did such a great job, they sang there little hearts out and had a great time. We were in the Lynbrook ward though and they announced the new Elders….Elder Thomas and Elder Degering….Elder Thomas??? How do you mess up Taylor and not Degering…I have never heard of that last name ever….and you mess up Taylor???? Come on now. So needless to say…Deer Springs is my favorite ward. Just kidding - they are both really good wards. This area is really devoid of missionary work, though, which was much like Carson City. But I think it will start to pick up and then take off...and we have a lot of work ahead of us if we want that to happen. So we are just going out and opening our mouths and each day it seems like we have someone we talk to that wants to learn more so it is nice in that sense. Funny story though: We were riding home the other night on Decatur and Deer Springs Road, (not that any of you know where that is…anyway) we were riding and some people flagged us down. We thought they needed help so we went over….Then they said, "Hey we are doing a scavenger hunt and we need someone to tell the Joseph Smith and Moroni Story." Who better to have stopped then two Mormon missionaries? So we told it in 30 seconds and they then took off….it was really one of the craziest moments of my mission.

Well, a little about Elder DeGering: he is from Virginia, some small town there….I don’t know the name. He has like 3 older brothers and a younger brother and sister…he has been out 16 months now….we are like the oldest companionship in the zone….and I am the longest tenured missionary in the zone…it is really crazy. I think things will work out though…he is a good guy and we get along pretty well. If you have any questions, Chanel, then just send me a note and I will write you back.

Well things have really gone by pretty slow this week…I hope that they start to pick up and that we have things get going in the area. We are just working hard and knowing the Lord will bless us. I am glad to hear that all is going well and that you are having a great time…good luck with the pig and the Dyches'…that should be really fun. I hope that you all have a great rest of the week. I love you.

Love,
Elder Geoff Taylor

No comments: