Monday, August 18, 2008

Hannah Montana....A Zamboni....And a Crazy Sunday? What could make life better???

Hello Hello,

Oh my goodness…..I can’t believe that it is here again….P-day…..I was thinking in the shower this morning….that’s probably where I do my second best thinking…about the fact that it is p-day again….these things seem to really be coming up out of nowhere and really fast now. It could be because I’m getting older or that I have been out for so long now but I really just don’t know. This week really has been amazing and I have really felt the hand of the Lord and the prayers of my loved ones in my life this week. We had some amazing fun and some cool experiences.

I won't waste anymore time I will just jump right in. First this past Wednesday was Elder Settle’s birthday….and for those of you who don’t know how serious we Taylors take birthdays….well, then check out Chanel’s blog and then you will know…I had to do something! Well, we came up with this plan to throw a little surprise party, so we went and got cup cakes and the like. Elder Settle has a playful crush on Hannah Montana…..so the party theme was….you guessed it: Hannah Montana! We got him a calendar and a big huge poster of her…and he thought that it was quite the party…and the Wal-mart guy thought that we were kind of weird - since it was four missionaries buying Hannah Montana stuff….but we did. We took him (Elder Settle, not the Wal-mart guy) to Chili’s for lunch and got half off our meal because we are missionaries…so everyone go there tonight and eat because they are so nice! Well that was really the end of the party stuff. Later we had a really cool experience. We went to go and visit this less-active lady and..she stood us up. So that was no bueno….so I asked the member who was with us who we should go see….he said that an older recent convert was having some health issues and thought it would be nice to drop in. Well it turns out that he wanted a blessing and that his wife wasn’t sure who to call. Knock Knock…the missionaries are here! So that was such a testimony builder of following the Spirit. It was really cool, and the member gave the blessing, only his second one! I can remember my first….how nervous and scared I was….well now I have given a few more….but it still is nerve wracking.

Then Friday….oh Friday it was so much fun. We, as an apartment, started to get really sick of the old contacting and tracting and since everyone who lives in Carson City has lived here their whole life or if they just moved here, they are already members. So we decided to make signs and hold them at street corners and see how it goes. Well, let me tell you…..it was so much fun that we have been doing it the last 3 days! We get a chance to talk to people off the street and get honks and waves…..and some middle fingers….but that just makes us laugh. It really is a lot of fun….I really must say….it really is a great idea.

Saturday we went with our zone leaders to do service at this middle school that is being re-modeled. They are 7 weeks behind schedule…and they open for school on the 25th and they needed help, so the zone leaders ward decided to help….so, we did too. It was a lot of fun. I got to ride on a Zamboni type thing to clean the gym floor….that was so cool and so much fun. The folks at the school really loved it too. Then the ward had a picnic that night and we went to that also. They had a horseshoe tournament…well you know me and how competitive I can get. We all signed up and then we looked at the bracket they made up and then I looked at the trophy. But guess who I was playing the first round?! That’s right - the defending champion…..what kind of garbage is this?! We played the game and I was winning 8-3, and we were playing to 11. But then the old guy hooks two ringers back to back!! In the end I lost but I didn’t go away quietly….I matched him point for point and then he ended up taking me out….I was sad…upset….but overall had a great time.

Then came Sunday….the craziest day since I have been in Carson City. We had 3 lessons yesterday after church…it was nuts. Best part was when we showed up to church there was this guy there who wanted to meet with us! We taught him last night and he said he believes in Joseph Smith and that he wants to jump into this 110%. I was so happy to see someone with so much enthusiasm…he is here for another 5 weeks of police academy. So we hope that he stays hot like he is….we are meeting again tonight….so hope that it all goes well.

Well this past week has been amazing and I hope that this week is a good one too. Yes, I do get a year older and better looking too….but I also hit my 18 month mark! Holy cow - time goes by so dang fast….I hate that so much. But all good things must come to an end sometime….sadly. Well I hope that you all have a great week and stay safe….I love you all and keep it classy.

Love,
Elder Geoff Taylor

No comments: